"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Family Portraits and Family History

My parents' home is across the road from a college. It happens to be a college attended by my grandmother and my aunt--my mother's mother and sister.

On one of our rambles, my mother and I visited the Alumni House.



Inside there's a little museum with artifacts and memorabilia.





Here is a bird's-eye view of the campus soon after it moved to the edge of town from a downtown location. The image pre-dates the construction of my family home, but the red arrow indicates its eventual location.



In a bookcase in the little museum we also found a collection of old yearbooks. So we looked up my grandmother's senior class photo.




For a time during her childhood, my grandmother lived in this pretty house.



In my parents' home are many family portraits. Two of my maternal grandfather, as a young Naval officer and later in his retirement after "working for Presidents". There's one of my grandmother, too.

Two charcoal portraits were made of me--one when I was a very little girl, and one when I was ten years old and performing in a play. Two pastel portraits were done later.

I remember sitting for this one when I was home from college. I wore a similar blouse when I played Irina in Chekhov's The Three Sisters.



I can't believe I ever looked so youthful!


No comments: