"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Morning at the Museum

Busy days--lots of fun. I'm blogging my most recent activity first, in coming days I'll cover the rest.

This morning my dad had an appointment downtown, so my parents dropped me off at the music museum--actually, a Hall of Fame. My friend's office is across the street, so she came to meet me and we wandered through some of the exhibits together.

Look, a mandolin! (But not like mine.)



This display case is devoted to Little Richard.



In the Coca-Cola Drugstore there's a jukebox, you can play whatever you want for free.



What's her selection?



After rockin' out with Big Mike, we headed for the kids' discovery section with all the hands-on musical displays. When I moved my hands inside the harp, I made music.



This celebrated musician was a schoolmate of ours.



The real reason we went: a special exhibition on Otis Redding.



It was a fantastic collection of memorabilia, culled from the Redding family collections. And what was really cool--my friend's dad appears in a photograph with Otis and some record company people. We stayed a long time, watching the video screen and studying all the artifacts.

When my mother showed up, it was time to say goodbye. We always have so much fun together, I wish we didn't live so far apart!




No comments: