"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tonight's Show: Current View from Window

A Boston hotel room, across from the TD Banknorth Boston Garden. Where, tonight, there's a Boston Bruins hockey game. This was a clear day but so cold and breezy that the temperature hardly rose above 30 degrees. The windchill knocked it way, way down into the teens. Big city folk stride quickly past my windows, buffeted about, getting the first sharp taste of winter--is still officially a month off.

My windows face an enclosed area behind the "Gah-den" where a stage was set up.



The sound check started before darkness fell. And then the band took the stage for Bruin Fest, the pre-game show and beer bash.



They were a cover band, and rather good. I could watch the show and hear it clearly and loudly, from the warmth and comfort of my room. The first set consisted of alt rock hits, including songs like "Kryptonite" that I don't hear often enough. Other bands covered: U2, The Killers, Gin Blossoms, Queen....

Look, a celebrity! It's Blades, the Bruins mascot.



Usually I feel sorry for mascots in their heavy costumes, but on a night like this Blades was certainly the most comfortable person/critter in the throng.

Blades plays air guitar.



Still playing.



The concert ended at 7 p.m., by which time I was perfectly happy for it to do so. The music was loud enough to drown out the television!

I'm pleased with my camera's performance, considering the distance and light conditions by which I took these photos.


No comments: