"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, October 22, 2009

At Long, Long, Long, Long Last

Lots going on.

Workers have been working all over the Lodge this week, finishing up (at long last) some tasks related to last year's renovations, and preparing for installation of new appliances. As usual jobs that appear to be simple turn out to be exercises in opening cans of worms, requiring unanticipated extra time and effort and $$$.

I had my usual busy Tuesday, with a long Chairs & Vice Chairs meeting attending by all the Commissioners or Department heads or their deputies. We had excellent discussion and information-sharing, a very real effort to streamline government and impose efficiencies, especially in the face of layoffs and reduced personnel. (Don't get me started on that topic.)

Yesterday I had a cookbook meeting. As we head into our 3rd printing we're still cleaning up the master document. I donated a ton of books to the library, either for the stacks or the annual book sale.

I've been appointment-setting and arranging to visit friends and booking restaurant tables in faraway places.

Oh--and at long, long, long, long last I put together my travelogue from my UK trip in November-December of last year. I suppose the 11-month delay is indicative of my priorities. I enjoyed the trip along memory lane, and included a few pics that didn't appear on the blog. Feel free to take the tour! The pages are connected so you can do the entire tour by clicking the first link, or do it individually.


London

Tower of London

Nottingham

Bestwood Lodge & Park

Windsor Castle & Town


Here's one of my fave photos from that trip. Because it has a shameful context and my expression, I think, is either guilty or unrepentent, I'm not sure which.



Dinner party tomorrow. Not here, thank goodness, but down the road at the neighbours'. Parts of the Lodge look like a disaster zone! But not for long, I hope!


No comments: