"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, October 31, 2009

On the Move

La Belle Fog--I mean, France--from the Eurostar train on the way to Lille.



I even shot video as we zipped along.



We disembarked at Bruxelles-Midi railway station.

Eight years have passed since I was in Brussels, that station or the city. But shortly after we left the train the intervening years evaporated. I was enveloped by remembered smells as I inhaled the combined and very heady aromas of melted chocolate and pipe tobacco. The scent of Brussels. And suddenly I wished--for a moment--that we were staying, instead of hurrying on to Platform 20 to catch the Antwerp train.

I'm always conscious of the creativity and whimsy of the Belgians. The station was hung with paper pumpkin cut-outs, dangling from on high. And a baguette shop's Halloween window display featured not only pumpkin art, but this fierce fanged carrot. I love that the artist made use of that other orange vegetable!



Lovely sunset just before we entered the city, visible from the train windows. I fear it may be the last we see of the sun for a while...but that's all right. Unless I'm headed for the Caribbean, I don't travel for the weather!


No comments: