"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Indoors and Out

So much rain fell last night and yesterday that today's sunshine and clear blue sky are almost shocking.

I began today's stroll indoors, where my plants are blooming.

I've brought this fluffy bi-colour impatiens in, hoping I can keep it going for some or all of the cold season.



My anniversary kalanchoe still doing its thing.



The red cyclamen in the kitchen window. (That burst of golden light behind it is the beech tree--which you'll soon see in all its glory.)



Stepping outside, I find yellowing rugosa leaves and red hips poking through the rails of the lower octagon deck.



My mermaid's bathtub is getty leafy.



A stray maple leaf on the moss.



In the front we have a towering beech tree and an even taller oak. I love them. They are a food source for our birds and chipmunks and squirrels, providing ample mast upon the ground in the form of beechnuts and acorns. And at this time of year they light up the property with their colours.



The beech sheds its leaves from the crown. Depending how much wind, the lower leaves tend to cling all winter, growing papery-thin over time.



When the sunlight hits the beech tree, the golden glow ricochets right into the house. It becomes a source of both light and colour. The section of wall in the photo below is, in fact, off-white, not bronze.



My favourite photo of the morning.



Thank you for accompanying me on my stroll. If you want to continue, visit Aisling's blog.


No comments: