"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Saturday Drive

I had to leave the Lodge mighty early yesterday morning to attend a diocesan meeting/retreat. Here are some photos taken along the way, and at the event. Because it's gloomy and chilly today and I don't expect to be stepping outside at all.

The best view of our little lake.



When more leaves have come down, we'll be able to see parts of the lake from the upstairs windows of the Lodge, but not yet.

Down the road a bit is a family cemetery. I thought the frosty stubble field and gravestones were very picturesque. And I was making good enough time that I could stop for some photos.



Almost every time I pass this field I see wild turkeys. Usually I have to stop so they can cross the road. (On Tuesday I think there were a couple of dozen or more!) This morning they were eating breakfast.



I like turkeys.



The drive to Hopkinton was gorgeous. The space we were in let in a lot of the sunshine, plus it's architecturally interesting.



I could see golden trees through the front windows.



During our mid-morning break, I went outside to photograph the tree standing between the church and a friend's house.



It was a good, productive gathering.

On my way home I shopped, and though I didn't find everything I wanted, it was productive, too. Last winter's tragic saga of losing black leather gloves (in Nottingham, UK, in Concord, USA, and places in between) will not repeat itself, I hope. According to my best (and highly embarrassing) calculations, I lost a total of 4 pairs. Do the math--that's 8 gloves total! The ones the ghost of Nell Gwyn "stole" from me at Bestwood Lodge, the replacement pair I purchased at Marks & Spencer in Nottingham, the fur-lined replacement to the replacement pair (lost, then found, then lost again), and the replacement to that one. The last two were both lost somewhere in the State House complex. It's very frustrating, because I have small hands and finding the right fit is difficult enough, let alone doing it four times in one season.

Ever the optimist, today I bought a pair of (designer) black leather gloves with cute red leather bow accents. I tell myself I've turned over a new leaf. Or my luck has changed. Or something.

Grey clouds were moving in by the time I returned to the Lodge. The Chap spent today placing the order for our new appliances and was back at the cottage buttoning things up for winter.

If you'd like to continue strolling, see Aisling's blog.


No comments: