"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Snow People



Here's the snowman some neighbours built on the surface of our little lake--before the blizzard that dumped 19 inches. He's stranded out there now, nobody has walked out to replace his face.

This morning's temperature was -1 degree F by the time we checked the thermometer. The Chap has been busy indoors and out, but apart from flinging bread crumbs,cracked corn and safflower seed for the birds, and re-filling the suet feeder, I've stayed inside.

I can report great satisfaction with my new ballet/exercise DVDs. The intermediate ballet programme is simple and studio-based. It provides a really good workout, with plenty of jumps and movement for cardio. The Elements exercise system is all warm-up stretches working the usual dance muscle groups. It was filmed in an outdoor setting, the narrator does a New Age-y voiceover and the music doesn't exactly thrill me. That said, the exercise is in-tense. Once I'm more familiar with the routines, I'll turn off the sound. Since getting these DVDs I've continued doing the NYCB workout, and really like having so much choice.

On Thursday afternoon I had lunch with our Friend From the North Country in Concord, following by the Diocesan Council meeting. Yesterday morning I met a friend in Portsmouth for brunch. Plenty of snow in both locations, but both days were bright--nothing prettier than fresh snow on a sunny, blue-sky day.

I was reviewing photos from the London trip and found this one, a long-time favourite painting. I built a whole novel around the subject--who happened to grow up to become a dancer!



That novel was published a long time ago, re-printed many times--most recently about 5 years ago. I'm nagging myself about doing something about digital editions of my full backlist. That should've been a New Year's Resolution, I guess, only I don't do them. Somehow it seems easier just to write another novel!

Ruth had a cameo appearance in the finished one, meaning it's Jewel's turn this time. I haven't quite worked out how/where to incorporate her.

High time these girls started generating income...Lola and Shadow certainly did! It would offset the expences. Jewel had her annual exam at year's end (all is well) and just last week I paid the dog tax on both of them. I was early enough that they received very low-numbered tags from our Town Clerk/Tax Collector.

The Chap just let me sip his drink, containing a new Mount Gay rum on steroids. I rarely drink spirits these days, mostly wine and hard cider and the occasional port or sherry. But it was so fine that I really think I need to follow his example!

Singapore curry noodles from Ping's for supper.

It's supposed to snow a little bit more tonight, nothing major. And again next week--shaping up to be my busiest one of the New Year. So far!


No comments: