"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, January 20, 2011

World of White

We keep getting snow. On Tuesday we had about 8 or 9 inches, to add to our 20-ish inches from last week. It came heavy enough to prevent my getting to my mandolin lesson on Tuesday. The unplowed local roads were easier to navigate than the supposedly plowed state highway, and I had to turn back. Luckily I was able to re-schedule--for a day when more snow is expected.

Then we had some sleet and freezing rain on top of the snow.

Today it's bright and sunny, and trees are covered with the inch of extra snow that came last night.



The snow plow mountains are enormous. The mounds on the party deck are huge. And there's another several inches of snow on the way tonight, says the weatherman. Where shall we put it, I wonder? After a couple of years of respite, we're having what the old-timers call a "real" winter. Usually around this time of year we have the traditional "January thaw." I think the 2011 January thaw came in the early days of the month. As it's supposed to go down to -11 (overnight) this weekend, I can safely say that the January thaw isn't exactly around the corner. We assume it's already come and gone.

While awaiting the next storm/s, I admire our handsome male cardinal.



Lots and lots and lots of meetings coming up. I'm happy to have snow when I can stay home at the Lodge all the time. When I have to go out, I understand why some people complain! I don't complain--doesn't do any good. I just report.


No comments: