"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, March 05, 2007

A Fifth of March

Day 11: Final Day of Winter Break

For some Legislators, break is over. But I had no official duties and got one more day to play.

Thanks for all those birthday good wishes streaming in via this blog, in emails, and by snail mail. (Those of you who posted cards really outdid yourselves this year! I've got the entire collection displayed upstairs in a line-up, and each is gut-bustingly hiliarious.)

This morning I drove to Portsmouth to meet a friend for a long-delayed brunch and talk of life and writing, not necessarily in that order.

Despite last night's birthday dinner at a capital region restaurant, I was still feeling celebratory. On my friend's recommendation, I therefore indulged myself with Banana Crunch French Toast with maple syrup and whipped cream. The "crunch" comes from almonds. This is what it looked like before I demolished it.



I really couldn't eat it all, but I had fun trying. I might be hungry again later this week....

After she and I went our separate ways, I headed downtown to the Aveda store on Market Street and the pricey boutiques (I had some b'day $$$ rolling around.) I took some pics of the historic shopfronts. The light was okay, but my Portsmouth shots never can compete with the truly artistic and interesting stuff Ron gets.

Didn't buy any clothes. Thought about it, but didn't.

Moving along to Fox Run Mall, I bought a lip liner/brush at Macy's.

Especially for all my friends and relations dwelling in the South (or England), where my birth date is associated with spring flowers and mild temperatures (and tornadoes--on this side of the Pond) I snapped the giant mountain of plowed snow. Half as tall as the light pole, it simply screams "March!"



As do the ice chunks floating into--or out of--Great Bay.



It was a sunny day on the Seacoast. But somewhere in Nottingham, about 15 minutes beyond the ice chunk, I ran into snow squalls. White-out conditions, very dramatic.



Closer to home, it wasn't much different. The Lodge is somewhere on the other side of that ghostly ridge (on the topographical maps, it's designated a mountain. It's our personal mountain, 'cause we own a piece of it.



It was a nice day of little accomplishment but good clean fun, and wonderful conversation. I was quite thrifty, purchasing only the bare necessities (not that they were cheap, exactly.) I never deviated from my "next time I'm in Portsmouth" shopping list.

Off to cook some supper for which I have absolutely no appetite....


No comments: