"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Three Dog Morning

The young girls wore themselves out in yesterday's snow-romping. Last night while the Chap and I watched a German film on DVD (Schultze Gets the Blues), Ruth and Jewel slumbered on the sofa with me, too exhausted to consider territorial issues.

First Jewel was sprawled across my lap, comatose, while Ruth occupied the cushion. Then they switched places and Ruth nestled against me.

Getting everyone settled at bedtime was somewhat challenging, but eventually we worked it out. Jewel is a flying dog, so soaring onto the high fourposter is much too easy. It's a lot safer up there, too. So we use our "correction" voices and gently but firmly shove her back onto the floor. She's getting the message.

I'm snapping plenty of pics, but fitting 3 dogs into the frame is a new challenge for this photographer.

Here they are this morning on the deck, Jewel at the door.



Lola checks out Jewel, Jewel checks out the front yard, Ruth checks out Wolf Mountain.



Doin' some 'splorin' behind the house, Ruth leading the parade. It was cold overnight, making the snow crusty on top, just hard enough to stand on.



What inevitably goes on inside the kneehole of my desk while I sit at the computer blogging.



Before heading off to church this morning (I stayed home to referee), the Chap gazed down at the tangle of young dogs under the dining room table. He and Lola wore identically bemused but resigned expressions.

"Is this the way you imagined it?" he asked.

Nodding, smiling, I said, "Pretty much, yes."

A quick kiss, and he departed, leaving me behind.

Outnumbered.


No comments: