"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, December 17, 2007

Friday Party

On Friday evening, we attended a party at a friend's farmhouse. It was a lovely drive through the dark and the snow, along winding roads. On arrival, we found our festive host, lovely decorations, delicious food and drink, and a roaring fire. More friends arrived. We were 19 persons in all.


Including Rudolph!



After we'd eaten and chatted for a nice long while, we started the "Yankee Swop". I'm not altogether sure we were following the proper rules--they changed a bit in progress--but it was great fun.

I didn't open a present myself, I took one somebody else had opened. She didn't want it. I thought it was hilarious.



It's a photograph of a not-terribly-famous and mostly unknown religious personage. I won't attempt to explain the significance.

As the evening wore on an angelic infant was decorated with devil horns. But we were surrounded by priests--6 or 7--therefore felt we were in no danger.



With so many ordained persons about, most of the gift items had a religious flavour. The Chap ended up with this one:



We can make toast imprinted with the Virgin Mary's image, and auction it on Ebay!

I thoroughly enjoyed Holiday Party #6. This week I've got #7 and #8, after which I shall close my social calendar!


No comments: