"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

How I Ensured a Patriots' Win

I watch professional football practically never. If the New England Patriots are in the Super Bowl (which they usually are), I might tune in for the incredibly costly and occasionally interesting advertisements. I prefer the ones featuring animals.

We've not watched the Patriots games at all this season, unless tuning in to a post-game show for the final score counts as "watching".

With a dearth of entertainment, or even info-tainment on telly last night, we were desperate. After the Chap gave up on Top Gear (Clarkson being an acquired taste), he suggested we "check in" on the Pats' game.

We hadn't been watching five minutes when the Ravens scored a touchdown.

Not being one to mess about with an unbroken string of victories, I got nervous.

"We'd better bail," I said. "Right now. All season long, we haven't watched the Patriots, and they keep winning. We watched only a few minutes, and we jinx them."

So we tuned out.

I sneaked a check at the score before going to bed, and it looked like the Ravens were going to break that streak without our help.

But apparently the Pats won it.

I'm fed up to here (imagine my hand indicating a position somewhat north of my head) with political candidates. Yes, I worship the NH Primary. I'm thrilled about having heard and/or met personally all the candidates of one party--some more than once--and often breathing the same hallowed NH air of all candidates of the another party when they're within our state's borders.

But I'm not inclined to join 11,000 people--and Oprah, and Barack (whom I've met personally) in a sports arena for a rally. I've got two, count 'em, two Christmas parties on the same day as the Oprah-Obama fest, for which I've got a standing invitation.

I'll direct you towards an acquaintance who composed something very amusing about politics. It's Part I. Part II should appear at the start of next week.

Overnight a fresh couple of inches covered the 8 or whatever that we got yesterday. It has snowed off and on today. So lovely! The dogs appear to be jaded...or else they're worn out from yesterday's romping.


No comments: