"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Snow...again

Yesterday's snow never quite materialised, by bedtime we had perhaps half-an-inch.

Today we're supposed to get that "4 to 8 to 10" inches. It's been quite white this morning. I was concerned enough about venturing out to re-schedule my mandolin lesson. Living in hill country as we do, one never knows how the local plowmen--the one from the town and the one who cleans up our private road--will keep up with conditions. I suspect I could've got out without much difficulty...it's getting back home on a snow-intense day that's usually the problem.

The Chap emailed to say his office is letting out at 1:30, well in advance of what is likely to be a challenging rush hour.

I'm returning to the tidying and organising project I started yesterday. My first phase involved research materials. A few months ago I acquired some useful organisers for files and for books. I've been making good use of the book one.



Yes, it's already overflowing but even so this system is preferable to the previous one. Because I'd run out of bookshelves as the research library for this novel expanded, I'd created unsteady stacks of volumes which I or the dogs were constantly knocking over. I could never find anything. And when I did, it was always the bottom-most book in the stack.

As for the other organiser, I hadn't done more than dump the files into it. I sort of knew how to find stuff. I resolved to remedy the situation when I returned from London, and now I have done. My research folders are organised by subject and type of information.



The next phase will be a legislative file purge for my Honorable File Cabinet. Now that our next session is about to start, there's no longer any reason to keep materials relating to bills and budgets already passed. Every day my official mailbox is stuffed with communications related to upcoming new bills. I should've finished my clean-out over the summer or autumn, but better late than never. I only intend to save stuff related to bills I co-sponsored, consituent letters, and my press cuttings. My motto is "Be Ruthless". My paper recycling box is going to be very, very full!

My entertainment while performing the task will be the radio show by my friend in Dublin (well, Glenageary).


No comments: