"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Last Day in the House?



Yesterday Jewel treed something. Not sure exactly what, I never saw it. She didn't seem too sure herself, and Ruth looks positively puzzled. I assume it was a squirrel or a chipmunk.

I, too, had a productive Tuesday. After a long dry spell, due to other commitments, I had a full day of novel writing. Consequently I hit a major milestone and am delighted.

I was up very late last night watching candidate and former candidate speeches and talking heads repeat the same things over and over ad infinitum as they speculated about matters that, imho, aren't worth speculating about at this particular moment. I'm slightly tempted to re-post that photo of me with the presumptive Democratic nominee, but I won't. I'm holding it in reserve until the general election. At least I now know whose names will be appearing on the ballot with mine!

Speaking of elections--the filing period for state office opened today and lasts one week. I don't know yet which day I'll be signing up to run.

Despite not getting to sleep till the wee hours, I was up very early this morning. After a cuppa tea and my banana, the girls and I had nearly a mile-long walk in the driving rain--one of the best walks ever. I wore my wide-brimmed Italian straw hat, the weave is so tight that I stayed perfectly dry.

When I went down to the shore to lock up the boathouse, I saw my old friend Walter the fish. It's the time of year when Mrs. Walter lays eggs near our dock. He spends the next few weeks guarding them. I often toss worms to him so he doesn't haven't to leave and hunt for food. (Note to self: stock up on worms!)

Drove back to the Lodge a little while ago in a vehicle redolent of damp dog...an odour I rather like. I'd just enough time to scrub, brush, paint and dress myself before heading to the State House.

This afternoon the Legislature, in our final regular session of the year, votes on Committee of Conference reports. But that's not all! The Governor and Executive Council, the Speaker and the Senate President are calling us into special session afterwards (following an interval for refreshments!) to deal with budgetary issues. I wonder if things will be contentious...hope not.

For all I know, this could be my last day--ever--in the House, where I occupied Seat 3-093. Whatever happens in November, serving my district and this state has been one of the great privileges--and thrills--in my life.

So far!


No comments: