"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Summer Picnic

I'm wrapping up my guest blogging today. And preparing to change dwellings again. (Back and forth, back and forth, from one body of water to another. No wonder we call ourselves "herons"!)

Rose of the Day: Ispahan A damask of Middle East origin, possibly ancient, which became known before 1832. Its claim to fame is its excellent properties--to this day--for the creation of rose essential oil used to make rose perfumes.



Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending a summer picnic for my legislative committee at a member's summer place on Pleasant Lake, precisely an hour's drive from the Lodge. He also oversees a vast antique automobile collection (Fords) and many buildings of antique and vintage objects of all kinds.

A sampling of what's on view.



It's always fun, visiting other people's lakes and admiring their views. And their loons! This pair settled in right in front of the deck, where we could observe them closely for quite a long time.



Mountain view with loons.



Not a loon.



That's Petey, a committee member's 12-year old Jack Russell terrier. I had no idea that breed has duck ancestry! He was overjoyed to be in the lake, wore himself out paddling around. He swims better than I do.

We had a fab cookout--hot dogs and burgers--many salads and some sweet things. I sampled the strawberry/rhubarb crumble.

My car was parked beside this mountain laurel, laden with blossoms.



It was a gorgeous day for a drive. The perfect New England summer day. I was so enamoured of it that I diverted from the motorway and took the "scenic route" back to the Lodge. Although the motorway route heading towards New London is pretty damn scenic in its own right.

The girls and I will be heading back to our own mountain and lake view and our loon on the Bay later. Our loon here on the little lake has been regularly sending out its loony call. Some workmen are here working under the screened porch, so I'm staying to referee and wrap up loose ends and field telephone calls.

My Health Coach just phoned in to see how I was doing with my exercise regimen, how close I might be to achieving my goals. I've met my exercise goal. I've exceeded my weight loss goal. My goal was to lose 5 pounds. Talk about low expectations! (I've been harbouring the mistaken impression that I'd set a 7 pound goal. Not even.)

I've already lost 11 pounds. So I've set a whole new goal.

Still haven't got round to blogging the whys and wherefores of this but eventually I shall.


No comments: