"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Roses and More

I hadn't intended to blog today. But when I wandered through my garden a little while ago, I just had to share!

Stepping out onto the deck, I was greeted by this chipmunk. Clearly an old timer, accustomed to being hand-fed--because he rushed at me expectantly. And I just happened to have some safflower seed.



Chipmunks have been rather scarce lately, but now the yard is blooming with young 'uns. This new generation runs and hops and chases each other around and are generally underfoot.

Here are the statues I brought home on Saturday.



In past summers I've offered a Rose of the Day. Sometimes it's a favourite rose, sometimes it's the best photo.

Rose of the Day: Stanwell Perpetual



The first blossom of the season is always the biggest and the best. I've been growing this lovely thing for many years. It doesn't exactly perpetuate for me. Perhaps now that it's featured it as Rose of the Day it will feel the love and produce flowers all season!

It's of the pimpinellifolia species, and has an interesting history, being "An accidental hybrid found in Mrs. Lee's garden at Stanwell" sometime before 1836. She was the wife of the famous English nursery gardener and hybridist. In olden days it was described as "Medium-sized, full, cupped, white with a light blush."

Other roses in bloom...

Rose de Rescht, a Portland rose.



Henry Kelsey, a scarlet Candadian climber



Snowdon, my towering white rugosa



Mist rising at the edge of the woods.



I made a nosegay from my gleanings: roses (Henry Kelsey, Rose de Rescht, Shailers Provence, Four Seasons Rose), catmint, perennial sweetpea (lathyrus latifolius), ox-eye daisy.




No comments: