"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Yawn....

We completed our legislative business at 11:55 p.m., at which time the State House doors were unlocked and some 303 representatives--and the press corps--and the remaining lobbyists--emerged into the damp and foggy night.

I was home by half-twelve this morning, interrupting the slumbers of the Chap and the dogs.

I slept as late as I could this morning, but it's a busy day with lots of hopping about the state--a Fish & Game Subcommittee meeting at Fish & Game HQ, and diocesan meeting on the Seacoast. Needless to say, two late nights in a row have taken their toll.

All sorts of news has accumulated in recent days. Some interesting (at least to me) and some not so much.

My novelist cousin has sold his second novel. It's another scary novel based on his experiences when he studied at Harrow School outside London. (Where the Chap and I visited him, years ago.) Lord Byron attended Harrow. Winston Churchill, too.

My cousin is now represented by very the same New York literary agency that represents me. Only he's got a different agent.

There's suddenly a reason to get a new ball gown. That may become a summer project. Big social event on the distant horizon, with some very precise wardrobe requirements. But no time now to think much about it.

Hotter weather is coming this weekend. I plan to release the baby turtles, which have lived in the aquarium since April, into the little lake. During my recent absences, the Chap has had to catch their food and feed them.

Over the past 7 weeks I've lost 10 pounds. This week I hit double digits. No, I haven't mentioned anything about it--not why I did it, nor how. When I started out, I didn't even own a scale. (Actually, I still don't--I borrowed one. There's just no other way to tell if you're actually losing weight.)

As for the other news, I can't remember what it is. Apart from saying that it's nice to have a quiet morning to watch all the pretty birds at our feeders, and rejoice at all the rain that recently fell upon my garden.


No comments: