"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, June 02, 2008

On the Water Again

This morning after picking lots more lily-of-the-valley and sweet woodruff to make May Wine, and feeding grasshoppers to the little turtles, the girls and I drove up to the lake cottage.

The View From My Window



The Chap was here already, he arrived yesterday. For the summer he works four days a week at his office, meaning long lakeside weekends. This is his first free Monday of the season.

My schedule yesterday afternoon prevented my coming sooner. I attended two dance recitals, one at midday and one in late afternoon. The daughters of friends were performing. (I attended last year as well.) During the 3 hour interval between shows I stopped in at the New England Antiquarian Book Fair.

"Purple People-Eater"



"How Much is that Doggie in the Window?"



All students gathered on stage for Reverence.



Very late last night, the loon on our little lake was calling loudly. I've seen our little lake loon several times, but our loon in the Bay here on the Big Lake remains elusive--heard but not yet seen.

Such a lovely, breezy day here on the lake. I hope to be as productive as last week, when I finished writing a couple of articles. I've got one more piece to polish off this afternoon. The rest of my time will be devoted to the novel. Practising "Fisher's Hornpipe" on the mandolin. Walking the dogs.


No comments: