"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Garden Thoughts

Over at Squawk Radio, the Squawkers have a couple of gardening threads going. Being an avid gardener myself, I joined in.

As proof of my efforts, I submit these photos...

A bouquet picked this morning, containing 3 types of David Austin English Roses, Redoute, Mary Rose, and Heritage. Also some Queen Anne's Lace, perennial sweetpeas (lathyrus latifolius), scented sweetpea (a variety dating from the 17th century), Scotch heather, and a purply-blue annual I forget the name of.


Now for some past glories...gleanings from July.


A selection of Gallica roses, left to right rosa gallica officianalis (Apothecary Rose), rosa gallica versicolor (Rosa Mundi--striped), and Tuscany.




And Shailer's Provence, which my mother sent me some years ago as a rooted cutting. I adore it for its abundance!


No comments: