"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Lobster Land

I like Maine a lot. Even the parts that aren't right on the ocean.
Not long ago my husband and I visited the art museum in Ogunquit, a lovely seaside community--and a very busy place in summertime. The museum had some Edward Hopper paintings of the local scenery, on loan from museums in New York. And by local scenery, I mean you could walk outside the museum and see the actual rocks and coves the painter painted so many years ago.

The museum is only open part of the year. Its setting is breathtaking, with ocean view and sculpture garden.

what I look like with a boat coming out of my ear
While he was taking this shot, the husband said, "There's a boat coming out of your ear."


It's one of the sightseeing boats carrying tourists back to the dock.

Later in the day we headed for a favourite restaurant on Chauncey Creek--because we were both in the mood for lobster rolls. This place makes really good ones.

Chauncey Creek in Maine

There's no liquor licence, so diners bring their own bottles of wine, and sometimes they decorate their tables with flowers. We didn't plan ahead quite as well this time but had fun anyway. The view from our table was terrific!



So were the lobster rolls...



On the way out, we stopped by the lobster tank. As usual, it was very full.

Lotsa Lobstahs


And dangerous!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Margaret - once again had to stop by and comment that I and my family just returned from our first trip to Maine. We stayed in York Beach, but we took the short ride into Ogunquit one evening for lobster at the "Lobster Pound" restaurant. It was delicious, and I have to say that Maine was truly lovely. It has surpassed the Massachusetts coast for me, in fact!

As always, your blog is interestig and colorful (and though I didn't post on it above, I love the photos of your roses and other flowers for the blog posting just after this one).

Best,
Mary RM

Margaret Porter said...

Isn't Ogunquit lovely?

I'm sure you enjoyed your proximity to the lighthouse on Nubble Point. The York Beach area is one of our favourite spots to take visitors to New England.

I've seen the "Lobster Pound" in Ogunquit but haven't eaten there. That said, you can't go wrong at such places--

Do come back soon! (To New England, and this Blog!)

MEP

Sherry Lewis said...

Margaret, dahlink, I just found your blog and I'm enamored. You're now bookmarked so I can return frequently. I love New England, especially Maine. If I could relocate this minute, I would. Some day. I mean that. Now I'm off to upload pictures from my trip to New England, Maine, and the Maritimes last autumn onto my blog. :::wistful sigh:::