"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, August 06, 2005

On the Other Lake with Loon and a Balloon

Setting out in our canoe
Saturday, and nothing to do but enjoy our lake. Not the Big Lake where the cottage is, but the smaller one (thirty acres small) across from our house. It's a perfect day for a canoe ride, so the husband and I set out. I ride in the bow and he in the stern.


Along the way, I stick my foot in the water to test the temperature. Very pleasant!

testing the water with my toes

We pull up to a friend's dock for a chat, and as we sit there a dragonfly lands on my husband's hand.


a dragonfly on my husband's hand


Our journey continues. The loon startles us by popping up very close by.


The loon surprises us


This happens to be the day of an annual balloon rally in a neighbouring town. Late in the afternoon, we're alert for the sound of balloons in the vicinity. Sometimes, during the late launch of the day, they float over our lake or house.


the balloon poised over the lake



It turns out to be a lucky year!


After floating several minutes above the lake, the balloon begins its descent...most likely headed for a field behind the mountain in back of our house.

The balloon begins descending

No comments: