"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Return to Lobster Land

a lobster tank

As soon as you cross the border into Maine, you find proof that lobsters are a big deal (in case you didn't already know.) Here's a different kind of "lobster tank"!


We had a full agenda during our day Down East, but managed to get to a favourite spot on the water. I love these two boats at the town dock. I don't think they ever go anywhere, because I always seen them. And always take a photo.

boats at the town dock

This collection of dinghies is impressive.

lots of dinghies

a farmstand with fresh produceNot far from the Town Dock, we passed this farmstand and bought local corn, enormous tomatoes, and a cucumber.

Payment is by the "honour system," as at most places like this.

Needless to say, we had a delicious supper!

2 comments:

Cara King said...

What great photos, Margaret! I especially
like the lobster tank. :-) You know, my sister used to force our family to watch a slide show of her vacation photos every year, and none of them were ever interesting. Yours are! (Okay, maybe part of the reason I hated my sister's photos was the whole "forced" thing -- but that's not all of it. You can even make a sandwich and chips look interesting.) :-)

BTW, I think your earlier photos of your roses are gorgeous -- why am I not surprised?

Cara
riskyregencies.blogspot.com

Margaret Porter said...

It's not hard to make a lobster roll look good! They're born that way.

A very sharp eye will notice that I took a bite or two from the sandwich before taking that pic...

Your remarks on the photos are particularly welcome! In one of my "other" lives, I'm a working photographer (my UK/European stuff gets published in newspapers & mags).

Btw, I haven't had a proper vacation this summer. These are pictures of Real Life, the way I live it. Such as it is!

Thanks for stopping in--

MEP