"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Elation and Glee

Jewel says:

A new toy! What could be more exciting?



Ruth says:

And spring colours, too! Totally awesome!



MEP says:

Snow is flying and the roads were dreadful this morning. Must be a legislative Session Day....

I arrived at the State House with a personal goal, in addition to voting legislation up or down.

I need a working title for my novel. Yes, the novel I've been planning and writing for lo, these many years. It has had various vague titles along the way, none truly worthy or worth sticking with.

So, instead of doodling during the morning debates, I planned to list any and all potential titles, old and new. I'd create a long list. Then a short list.

Then it came to me--the perfect one. It just leapt into my brain and nestled there. I can't shake it. It's so perfect. So much so I'm not even second-guessing myself. Not yet, anyway.

Of course, this happened within the first 15 minutes of the session. Meaning I had to go back to doodling. So far, I've drawn several shamrocks, a leprechaun holding a shamrook in one hand and a Guinness in the other, a sheep, a rabbit, and a mouse.

When we started to legislate this morning, we had 250 bills to despatch by crossover day--a week from now.

By the lunch break, we were down to 243.

We're cruisin'.


No comments: