"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Of Bunnies and Belles

Yesterday, as the strong wind blew me towards the entrance of our local shopping mall, I spotted a tall, long-eared white creature standing by the door. It was the Easter Bunny.

The Easter Bunny was having a cigarette break. And it looked So Wrong to me. It was setting a very bad example for the youth of this great state.

The Bunny tossed his butt onto the ground--a litterbug, too!--and entered the mall before me.

I went into a store. I came out of a store. To get to another store I had to pass by the Easter Bunny's garden "hutch"--same location as Santa's "wokshop" at Christmas time.

On the Bunny's lap was a very young screaming child, not at all interested in having his photo taken with the nicotene-scented rabbit.

I averted my eyes and hurried on to my destination.

This morning's paper brought back all the horror of yesterday's encounter.



Same Bunny. Different traumatised child. This infant is only a few weeks old and forced into intimacy with a disreputable rabbit. How sad.

Now here is an extremely reputable, clean-living bunny.



It looks white, but it's really a green bunny, made of environmentally friendy materials. Every night I sleep with this bunny. At regular intervals he goes into the washer and dryer. (Not regularly enough, according to the Chap....)

Our young Southern Belles--Ruth of Arkansas and Jewel of Tennessee--optimistically assume that March means warmer, spring-like weather. So they are beginning to shed what little winter coat they've got.

This afternoon, the Chap and I each took charge of a dog and had a makeover session with combs and brushes. It's only the beginning of grooming season, but already they look very sleek. And they're so much easier and more cooperative than our huskies ever were. They are such gluttons for attention. Grooming equals attention.

While I do not include myself in the belle category, my appearance is greatly improved. After numerous postponements, due to her illness and my mad schedule, I finally managed an appointment with my hairdresser. I now more closely resemble the photograph on this blog, instead of the bedraggled hag I was when I crawled out of bed this morning!


No comments: