"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Palm Sunday

A headline in this morning's paper was not encouraging.



Fortunately it wasn't predictive, it was a report on a trekking trip to Patagonia.

On this, the whitest Palm Sunday I've ever seen, the church was nicely decorated.



You might say our parishioners are ready for anything!



Our priest prepares for our Palm Sunday Snowshoe Procession.



Because of his lovely sermon on olives and olive oil and their connection to Jesus and Gethsemane, in this busy Holy Week--also the week before Crossover Day in the Legislature--I shall think of myself as a little olive and that the pressure being applied to me in coming days will result in good things. I certainly hope so!

The documentary screening yesterday afternoon was wonderful beyond description. I particularly enjoyed speaking with the director, during the Q&A and afterwards. His next project sounds equally fascinating.

Our Saturday Night Flick was The Commitments, which we hadn't seen for year. It's an outstanding film based on Roddy Doyle's delightful early novel. I have a feeling the soundtrack album is about to be repeatedly played at the Lodge or in my car.

We've been on an Irish bender lately. Over recent weeks we've seen Once...in fact, Glen Hansard's performance was the impetus for re-viewing The Commitments 'cause he's in both.

In between those films, we've been watching The Irish R.M., the televised series derived from the Somerville and Ross novels that I adore. Another old favourite.

Our recent choices of entertainment really were unconnected with the fact that it was the run-up to St. Patrick's Day. It just worked out that way.

Don't forget to wear green tomorrow, or you might get pinched!


No comments: