"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, July 06, 2009

Musical Monday: Mrs Costello

On Friday night we attended the Diana Krall concert at Meadowbrook, a concert venue on the other side of the Big Lake from the cottage. There were thunderclouds in the distance but they stayed away from us!

The Chap is a huge Krall fan. Huge.

This was our second time seeing the artist also known as Mrs. Elvis Costello. Last time was several years ago in London at Festival Hall, and she had the London Philharmonic as her back-up group. It was before her marriage.

I've also seen her husband, Our Beloved Entertainer, in concert. I won tickets in a radio contest because I knew his wife (at the time) Caitlin O'Riordan was a Pogue. It ranks as just about the best ever concert I've seen in my life, at an outdoor venue in Colorado. I've been forever sorry that the Chap wasn't with me. He was travelling on business, overseas I think, so my extra ticket went unused.

We discovered how many people we know are Krall fans! I saw another State Rep, a former State Rep, the chaplain to the House of Representatives, a musician/sculptor/former neighbour from the little lake, a friend I used to work with/for and his wife.

This time Ms Krall/Mrs Costello was backed by her own jazz trio, and the guys were the perfect complement to her piano. She was in fine form and in fine voice. Meadowbrook is covered on top but open at the sides, so it was almost like being outside. Backing vocals were provided by the frogs in the bog behind the stage, which lent a nice rural touch to the proceedings. Mosquitoes were a bit of a problem on the state, but the performers handled them with aplomb and good humour.

We learned that the Costello-Krall contingent (Elvis, his Missus, the twin boys) had spent the morning in Boston, leaping puddles on the Common. Family life on the road: my tour bus will meet your tour bus in Boston....

Here's "Peel Me a Grape," one of the songs she performed.



My only regret was the absence of "Popsicle Toes," which I love, from her set. She referenced while jamming inside another tune but she didn't sing it. I saw its originator Michael Franks perform it a long, long time ago.

Our drive back to the Lodge late Friday night was magical. Above us was the beautiful big white moon and lots of bright stars. Good to know they're still up there...with constantly overcast skies lately, we weren't sure!


No comments: