"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Flora & Fauna

At 5:30 a.m. PST the Super Shuttle van took me from Hilton Ahaheim to LAX, via Long Beach airport where one of my fellow NH deputies disembarked for her flight. My plane left from LAX, and at the start of the flight we flew westward out over the Pacific, something I'd not done since travelling to Australia and New Zealand, before turning towards the east and home.

Arrived at Logan Airport on time, boarded the Concord Coach (a bus)--the same fellow deputy who had flown out of Long Beach arrived in Boston at the same time and also boarded the same bus! It delivered us to Concord, and the drive was peaceful and lovely--blue sky, clouds, setting sun. And so much green, a colour we saw little of on the Left Coast.

The Chap had flown from his Louisville conference to Manchester's aiport. He and the dogs arrived straight from the kennel--all the Porters were in transit yesterday. Much excitement all round. We stopped at Wendy's on the way home, and the guy at the service window gave each of the girls a chicken nugget!

It's a glorious and sunny Sunday! I've got used to sunshine after 12 days in California, but the air is nicer and cooller here in NH. And my garden welcomed me home in a wonderful way!

Rose of the Day: Charles de Mills. This 19th century gallica has produced the last lovely antique rose of the season, it was awaiting my return.



The lavender is now blooming.



And the Queen Anne's Lace.



One of the two sorts of mallow I grow. This is the very pale pink, almost white.



Shasta daisy. I included my finger in the shot to show how massive the blossoms are.



One of 3 colours of astilbe I grow. (The 2 others are white and palest pink.)



My indigo delphinium. It looks like the photo is sideways, but the flower stalk is so heavy that it's listing to the right.



Lathyrus latifolia, perennial sweet pea. This is the bi-colour. I think, due to the lack of sunshine, it's paler than it should be.



Mauve-coloured perennial sweet pea.



Rudbeckia growing wild in the Chap's wildflower meadow.



Ruth and Jewel insisted upon a proper stroll.



We paused to admire our little lake.



When we got back to the Lodge we decided to clean up our act at MEP's Dog Wash.

Rinsing Jewel.



Washing Ruth.



The Chap dries Ruth. You can tell she loves being dried.



Clean x 2



There may be more Anaheim photos to come, I'm not sure. The closing day of General Convention was amazing. On Friday evening we had our deputation dinner at PF Chang's. I've unpacked and given the Chap his gifts--more are on the way via UPS. I was able to sleep late this morning. Though I expected to be weary today I'm feeling quite peppy, but re-entry is a bit odd after being so far away for so very many days. It's as if my NH life was interrupted back around the 4th of July...and suddenly it's July 19th!

As ever, thank you for stopping by. For more strolling, go here!


No comments: