"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, January 22, 2010

Look What I Did!



Very busy day yesterday. The State of the State was not at all the downer I expected, in fact it was quite progressive--in the forward-looking but not the spendy sense --and pragmatic. Lots of applause and standing ovations for the Governor. And my FFTNC was in the gallery, and witnessed the Gov's comments about supporting enterprise in the North Country.

Immediately afterwards she and I headed over to the Thai restaurant on Main Street. Then we went shopping. At Michael's I went a little nuts and bought some pretty yarn and a pair of knitting needles with the thought that my FFTNC could teach me to knit. For supper we had tilapia and garlic smashed potatoes and salad and the awesome raspberry sorbet.

After supper I had my knitting lesson. I'm left-handed and my teacher is right-handed, but we got that sorted. She taught me to knit Continental style, while the Chap was laughing at us in the background.

I persevered, and by bedtime I had completed the section of scarf that you see above. "I made a shawl for a mouse!" was my gleeful description.

I'm supposed to be revising a novel and playing mandolin and carrying out other responsibilities. I'm not quite sure where knitting is going to fit into my life. But at least I know I can do it.

Attending the NH Sheep and Wool Festival in May will be really different this year. For me it won't any longer be only about the sheep and the sheepdogs. I can also get excited about wool and yarn!


No comments: