"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Looks Like January Round Here

On Monday our snowfall total was about 8 inches.

Yesterday was a grey and snowy day. I had public hearings in committee all morning, and an executive session of several of last week's bills in the afternoon. Received perhaps an additional 3 inches.

Being a little tiny dog, Ruth harbours concerns about excessive snow depth. Here she is this morning, letting us know that another inch had fallen overnight.



Jewel patrols the deck.



The morning after a nice snow can be so extremely picturesque, truly spirit-lifting.



Today in committee we had another public hearing, which attracted many, many members of the public who came to listen and to testify. We started at 10 and adjourned on time at 12.30. The halls of the Legislative Office Building were crammed with citizens participating in democracy today. The Chap was supposed to have been monitoring a Finance Committee bill, and though I went looking right before our hearing started, I never saw him. And if he came looking for me, he probably couldn't get into the room! Standing room only.

By the time I got back to the Lodge the snow was falling again, much to Ruth's dismay. I just shovelled another inch off the main deck. The birds are swarming our feeders.

Our Friend From The North Country will be here for a couple of nights or more. The dogs will be thrilled, and spoilt with attention.

Tomorrow the Governor gives his annual State of the State address to a joint session of House and Senate. As an inveterate optimist who also has access to an overabundance of information about New Hampshire, I must say that good things and even progress are indeed happening here. And yet if I had to give a State of the State address, my headline would be pithy: "Not So Good." Sub-headine: "Mostly due to factors beyond control." The sub-sub headline is: "Compared to other U.S. states, we're damned fortunate." My recommendation: "Proceed with Caution."

I have a feeling most of that will be expressed tomorrow morning in Reps Hall, and it will take an hour. Fifteen minutes of ceremony, which includes the Pledge, the National Anthem, introductions of political and other VIPs and honoured guests. And then the Governor's speech. You can tell I've been through this before....But not my FFTNC, who may be watching it all from the gallery.


No comments: