"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, June 12, 2006

All that bright light!

The sun returned yesterday and remains with us today. Can't help squinting a lot. We've got so accustomed to rain, downpour, drizzle and fog that we've turned into moles. Even the dogs! Last evening we sat on the porch, soaking up the sunshine.



The garden is happy. I've got 4 roses in bloom now. Two white rugosas, Blanche Double de Coubert and the simple white rugosa. And two Scotch roses, Stanwell Perpetual and the Double Blush Burnet pictured below.



I'm also thrilled at finding ladyslippers at the edge of our woods. This one in the picture is near the house, and there's another across the road. They are considered rare--even endangered, as woodlands vanish.



For anyone wondering how the girls are getting along together, I submit these kissy-kissy pictures as proof that all is well.





I was hoping Ruth would kiss my husband's foot, but she didn't. She prefers faces, and who can blame her??

I'm off to lay a strawberry bed, before heading to the city where I have various meetings. (I'd rather stay home and play in the dirt...)

I'm up to Vol. iii of the diary. Each volume is very, very thick and the print rather small. So I consider this swift progress!


No comments: