"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Mixing Politics and Religion

That basically sums up my Saturday!

I rose very early and drove downstate--through heavy rain and fog--to attend a political event. Also there: the Governor, 5 congressional candidates, 2 Presidential hopefuls, a former U.S. Senator, tons of press (radio, tv, newspaper reporters, and I think C-SPAN). Plus more than 800 delegates.

I left early in order to attend a religious service--a friend was being made a deacon, in preparation to becoming a priest in the Episcopal church. When I first met him, he was a lawyer at a very prestigious firm, and was just beginning to discern his call to ordained ministry. The moment when the Bishop placed hands upon his head was unforgettable and inspiring for his assembled family, the congregation that supported him along the way, and the people of the diocese who came together to celebrate this new life of service to the church. The music--hymns, choir, soloist--were uplifting. All the clergy in attendance were wearing red stoles for Pentecost (which is today), and the Bishop was magnificently vested. His sermon was awesome.

When I finally got home (at 7 pm), after completing a big circle through the state, I had much to tell my husband. He'd stayed home to pack for a trip to Washington DC--and to hang out with Lola and Ruth, who seemed happy to see me again.

Then we watched Napoleon Dynamite. (While the dogs slept.)

It rained through the night. Flood watches were posted--for the very same areas that had severe floods two weeks ago.

Nature notes:

The painted turtles are crossing over from the lake to lay their eggs in our front yard, something they do every June.

A couple of days ago, I spotted a pair of Bohemian Waxwings high in the treetops. I assume they were just passing through, haven't seen 'em since.

My late lilac and the spirea are absolutely gorgeous right now. But very wet.

My very first rose has bloomed, the Double Blush Burnet, a rare type of Scotch rose hybrid. Unfortunately, it's too rainy to go outside to take a picture.

The other rose bushes are almost falling over, they're so laden with buds.

No comments: