"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, June 19, 2006

Power Off, Power On

Last night we lost our power at about 8 PM, abruptly halting plans for our DVD Date Night.

The phones were knocked out, too, so my husband drove up the road to the place where our cellphones pick up signal, and called in a report of service outage.

Then we sat on the screened porch for hours, sipping wine and singing old camp songs and reminiscing about camp experiences of our youth. We have plenty of flourescent battery-powered portable lights for these rare occasions. But it was more romantic and intimate using my candelier with 3 candles.



Because it was such a warm night--okay, damned hot--and no fans due to lack of electricity, we elected to sleep on the porch.

When we laid down the foam mattress with a featherbed mattress on top, as our bed, Queen Lola assumed it was for her. Guess again!



Once we settled in, Ruth made a similar assumption, flopping down between us. She moved on eventually, which was a good thing--a warm little dog lying against my already warm leg was not what I was looking for.

We believe the power returned at 2:30 AM. When the morning light arrived, my spouse headed back to our real bedroom but I stayed on the porch. I must've been comfy, 'cause I slept there till 9 AM. Off and on--wee Ruth kept coming round to check on me and lick my face.

Other news:

I've put together pages of my Bratislava Trip. They aren't yet up on my website, you can only access from here, at least for now.

Rose of the Day: La Ville du Bruxelles, a lush white and pale pink damask.

No comments: