"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, June 30, 2006

A Persian Rose

I've been messing about with the sidebar lately, adding a few different blogs. I've also added a couple of webcam views. One shows the area of London I occupied as a student. No, I didn't live right in the middle of busy Bayswater Road. But I crossed it a few times every day, because I often walked in Kensington Gardens, which I entered via Lancaster Gate. My neighbourhood has changed very little, I sometimes drop by, for old times sake.

The other is Oxford--on most days it's possible to see some of the "dreaming spires." The college where I spent time was father out on the Woodstock Road, so I didn't actually live within sight of the area shown on the webcam--although it was familiar to me.

I do wish I could find a view of the Mayfair neighbourhood that became our home away from home as a result of my husband working Over There. So far I haven't succeeded. Maybe because it's too posh for webcams?

The sun is out--a rare occurrence this week--so I think we're heading up to the Big Lake later. After I do a bit of work on my website update, and get the birthday pressies wrapped.

Rose of the Day



Ispahan, Rose d'Isfahan, Pompom des princes. This damask rose doesn't have a certain date of origin, but it's definitely from the Middle East. It takes its name from a city in Iran, the ancient capital of Persia. The tight buds unfold gradually, into a fluffy, many-petalled true pink flower with a scent that takes your breath away. The bush gets taller and more majestic every year. This year it's over 5 feet high.



The French cosmetics company Yves Rocher makes a fragrance called Ispahan Rose.




No comments: