"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Writer's Retreat

I'm having a quiet, productive time here on the Big Lake with my wee companion. We've spent time on the dock, we've taken long walks, I've been swimming. Tried teaching her to swim, but she wasn't terribly keen.

Last night we watched Meerkat Manor and The Dog Whisperer. Maybe Cesar will do a program on teaching your Border collie how to swim....

While here I accomplished my big goal: I've now finished all six volumes of that 17th century social/political diary. So now I'm rewarding myself with pleasure reading--when I'm not working on my novel.

Our first days here were dry, a bit muggy. The phoebes woke us up at 5 a.m. yesterday--and a lot of other birds chimed in. The only one we haven't heard is the big loon...but now that it's foggy and still, it's perfect loon weather. Very little boat traffic during the week. Expected some this weekend, but the climate isn't conducive.

I'm cleaner than I've ever been, because this recently installed shower head is incredible.



It's like staying in a 5-star hotel. A somewhat rustic one.

Off we go on a ramble, during this break in the rain. Must work off all that French toast I made for breakfast!


No comments: