"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Objects of Beauty

Items connected with two famously beautiful--and scandalous--Englishwomen, both deceased, are in the news lately:

Vivien Leigh



and

H.R.H. Princess Margaret



Notley Abbey, the beloved country home of Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier, is on the market and seeking a buyer. It's situated on the Thames, in Buckinghamshire. To me it always seemed like the perfect getaway--with a historic past that connects theatrical royalty with the other sort (Henry II founded the abbey, Henry V stayed there.)



Christie's Auction House in London has just completed is two-day sale of treasures belonging to Princess Margaret. The takings exceeded all expectation and estimate. A good thing, as most of the proceeds go to charity.

Here is her diamond-encrusted wedding tiara, with a central rose. No, I didn't bid for it myself--I've got three tiaras, slightly less grand, none of which required added insurance. (The gems are paste!)



I do confess my admiration of this dainty brooch. I'm a Margaret, too.



As well, I've got a formal event coming up in September and it would be an appropriate accessory. But at the moment, the bulk of my disposible income is being invested in dog toys, so I had to pass.

Alas.


No comments: