"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, May 19, 2008

In the Garden

No garden tasks today, apart from gathering cut flowers to adorn the Lodge. Conditions are conducive to outdoor labour, but I must focus on housekeeping, not groundskeeping. It's unseasonably cool, about 56 degrees. Alternately bright and dull. Quite breezy. Not a black fly in sight!

My chipmunk friends are out and about. Here's one of them pretending to be a garden statue.



I love all my tulips, but probably prefer the parrot tulips.



I'm extremely fond of this full-bodied tulip, with peony-like shape.



The bergenia starts out white before turning pink.



I've got two bleeding heart plants. The smaller one--smaller being a relative term--was divided from the mother plant several years ago. A precocious child, it's the first to bloom.



The fringed bleeding heart plants (I have many because they self-sow like crazy) are laden with blossoms.




No comments: