"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Wings not Weight

I could write of the many weighty concerns I've dealt with lately...since relinquishing the wheel of the motorship. Nobody commented that in the picture I was looking at the camera, not watching the "traffic"--in fact, there was none, and we had no islands in our path! The ship and all aboard were perfectly safe for the few minutes that I was captain.

Yesterday consisted of meetings--one afternoon, one evening, interspersed with a delightful Mexican dinner with the Chap and a canon chum--and preparing for upcoming meetings.

Today the House is in session. Some weighty issues await us this afternoon. During our lunchbreak I zipped across the street to the church (in which last evening's meeting was held) to enjoy the second half of an organ concert.

The resounding music lifted away all my cares and concerns, they floated up and away on wings of sound. I felt utterly refreshed.

On my way out, I took this picture of the azaleas. I grow none--a major oversight, I kick myself at this time of year--so must enjoy them elsewhere.



Perched near on of the back entrances of the State House, I ate my yogurt and trail mix lunch, before (reluctantly) coming inside. Such a gorgeous day!

Here's the view from my lunchtime spot (yes, another azalea!):



I suspect the weighty work of this afternoon will drag on. I've got 8 (or is it 9) bare-root roses soaking in a tub and would very much like to get them into the ground today. Especially since rain is coming tomorrow, which is too perfect. I might be outside in the rain tomorrow, planting them feverishly before the next round of afternoon meetings. (Wouldn't be the first time gardening in the wet!)

The black flies are already swarming...soon they'll be biting. Another reason to finish remaining garden tasks.


No comments: