"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, August 31, 2009

Living v. Blogging

It was no contest. I picked living life over blogging about it.

I was busy Saturday and Sunday enjoying life and enjoying our guest. Saturday was chilly and extremely rainy. After a banana French toast brunch, my friend and I just sat around the cottage reading and checking email and chatting and planning (or not) and discussing the book discovery of the year, a massive 1699-page tome by Meta Given. It's part of our cottage's fascinating cookery book collection.

Meta's encyclopedia of cooking (ours is one of seveal 1952 editions but it dates back to the 40's) contains recipes you wouldn't cook in a million years (weird wild critters, for instance.) But she also offers some very good basic dishes of all sorts and fantastic--often amusing--tips on food presentation. From her we learned many important things about being a good cook, a welcoming hostess, and a correctly-sized female. (According to Meta, a woman should weigh 123 lbs. Meaning I'm somewhat under-sized, by her standards. That's okay with me.)

On our way back to the Lodge we stopped to pick up lobstahs, so the Chap could hypnotise them...



...and steam them for our supper.



Thanks to her regular visits, she's become very adept at picking out lobster meat.



Yesterday morning we attended our church's annual outdoor service...



...and potluck picnic.



Back at home, we had a photo session involving people and dogs. My friend took this one.



Then it was time to go to the airport--sigh. My friend and I already have some plans for future get-togethers.

The Chap took me to the big mall and then our fave Mexican restaurant, where I tried to console myself with shopping and eating.


No comments: