"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Out & About

On Friday and Saturday I was a writing marathoner. Up till 2 a.m. one night and not quite that late last night. When the words flow so readily, I can't make myself stop. It was a very productive period at the Big Lake. And hot!

Came back to the Lodge late this morning. In the afternoon the Chap and I went to Concord for the NH Antiquarian Book Fair. I found a darling little book of verses from 1808. Saw a nice 17th century French engraved map of the British Isles, but didn't buy. I've so many framed prints and pictures now, there's hardly any place to hang another. I was able to learn the dates of some London book fairs that correspond with the next trip....

Afterwards, just before we got on the motorway, I snapped the Capitol Dome. Haven't spent any time there lately.



Crossing the Merrimack River.



The spot by the river where I see all the herons in spring and early summer.



A familiar country lane.



Some really precocious trees are beginning to turn. In just a couple of months the photo above will be vividly painted with autumn hues.

Cow corn.



People corn. (We stopped at the fresh fruit & veg stand near the arena where the bookfair was.)



They had something precious I can't find at the supermarkets in NH: green tomatoes.



So for supper we'll be having corn on the cob and fried green tomatoes. Mine won't taste as scrummy as my Southern grandmother's always did, but mine are pretty good.

Hot but happy dogs smiling for the camera.



Thanks for stopping by. More strolls can be found here.


No comments: