"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Quiet Day



The dogs and I returned from Big Lake to Little Lake yesterday. My writing blitz of recent days resulted in many, many pages being written. So I didn't mind spending an afternoon in Concord having a mandolin lesson and a diocesan meeting and dinner with friends at Boloco. It's fast becoming a favourite place to grab a bite after diocesan meetings!

I hadn't seen another human being in nearly a week, nor had I spoken to one in person, so I was sort of hyped up just to be with people. Instead of dogs. I love being a hermit by the Big Lake, but I also like hanging with my peeps and focussing on the good work we do together.

This quiet day is one of updating websites and catching up on newspapers and magazines and email.

I returned home to find my gardens a complete mess and disaster--remedying their dire state is not on my to-do list and won't be anytime soon, I'm afraid. They looked great in springtime, and then the roses came and covered the flaws. Now it's the season for natives and wildflowers--red bee balm sprouting everywhere--perennial sweet peas galore. And, no thanks to the rainy conditions, more weeds than I've ever seen. I have got a plan to whip things back into shape this autumn...after the book is finished. One of several good reasons to be at the lake cottage so much is that I escape the agony of gazing upon the Lodge landscape. That said, the tree-cutting that occurred lately, removing ice-storm damage, improved it.

Several consecutive days of sunshine have been a rare gift. It's hot and humid now and will probably rain later.

The Chap returns from his Montréal trip today. I get my Montréal trip very, very soon. He tells me I'm going to love my accommodations--overlooking the Old Town. He did a recce while he was there. After so much travel this summer (Chicago area for the HNS conference, Anaheim for General Convention) I'm surprised at how excited I am by this trip. Perhaps because I haven't been to Montréal (or Québec City) for 2 years now, after being accustomed to going there every year. And of course it will be lovely to have time with my husband...with both of us travelling and my living up at the lake so much, we haven't seen one another all that much. And when we do, it's really special and fun and sort of like dating again!


No comments: