"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Breaking News, Broken Bridge

Irish musician Tommy Makem has died.

You can follow the above link to the Boston Globe obit, if you want to know more about him. He was a local, national, international treasure.

I took this photo at the Governor's Inauguration reception in January. Tommy, on the right, and his son performed for a lively sing-along in the Executive Council chamber.



Today we're thinking also of the city of Minneapolis. My sisters-in-law live and work there. I believe on is on a biz trip to the Pacific Coast this week. The other is a hospital surgical nurse, and was possibly very busy.

Returned to the Lodge on Monday evening, for a whirlwind three days--not that I spent much of it at the Lodge. I was in Portsmouth most of Tuesday for a marketing planning meeting, seafood lunch on a dock with a view of the harbour and the three tugboats, and a tour of a new independent school in the area.

At the office yesterday. And some of today. Last week we moved my desk, creating lots more space.

My new laptop arrived yesterday, so I spent last night configuring it. It weighs 2 & 1/2 lbs. Our new fridge--which weighs significantly more than that--now has some major competition for my affections.

Heading back to the Big Lake this afternoon, a refuge from the scorching heat.


No comments: