"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Lundi et Mardi

Yesterday, George Bush followed us to Quebec. He's staying not that many kilometres from here, at Montebello, where's he's been summit-ing with the Canadian Premier and the President of Mexico--who must return to his country posthaste to assess hurricane damage.

On Monday the Chap walked me all round the downtown area, showing me a pleasant park with fountain and a view north to McGill University and a portion of Mont Royal.

He led me unerringly to Simons, my favourite department store, where I bought socks and tights (a tradition when at Simons) and got a start on my Christmas presents. (You hate me now, don't you?) I was hunting a pair of lunettes but couldn't find the perfect pair. After shopping aboveground, we descended to the underground malls--I found an adorable bag with a beaver applique--I shall be the envy of the Fish & Game Department and our Committee! Well, I would be if they weren't nearly all men....

For lunch, the Chap took me to a haunt of his, Dunn's, for a traditional Montreal smoked meat lunch.

This morning we caught up on telephone messages and emails before heading out to face the world. At the end of our block we encountered this infant school preparing to cross the street.



We watched the crossing, a most entertaining process.

Our first stop was the Chateau de Ramezay, home of the Royal Governor and various other dignitaries down the centuries, now a museum. The collection of 17th and 18th century artifacts was impressive, and though later centuries were of slightly less interest I covered every salle.

In the vaults on the lower level are the social history displays--furniture, household items, costume, etc.

This photo shows a dogspit for turning roasts in the fireplace--like a hamster in a wheel, the small dog rotated the cage which was attached by pulleys and cables to the roasting spit in the fireplace. (I've sometimes seen these in England, in country house kitchens and tavern kitchens.)



I can well imagine Ruth and Jewel running round in the spit, turning the meat so quickly it wouldn't ever cook!

In the costume area I was enchanted by these shoes, two pair are circa 1794 the other is early 19th century. The cards indicated specific events at which they were worn. The green pair are white leather, lightly painted with a green wash.



We couldn't resist another visit to the Jardin du Gouvernour, where I posed with roses and fountain.



Being so close to Place de Jacques Cartier, we decided to take advantage of the many dining choices for our late lunch. As often happens when travelling, I found myself on a film set.



The two gentlemen in the suits were clearly local celebrities because people were lining up to have their pictures taken with them while the techies were setting the shot near Nelson's Column.

We didn't stay to watch the filming. (I've already logged too many lifetime hours on set.) We were there for food! Our chosen restaurant appealed to us because its table d'hote featured moules et frites.



Our penultimuate stop was the IGA on Rene Levesque, for provisions (I love having a kitchen!). Afterwards I raided the nearby SAQ.

This shopping bag is filled with many bottles of Morte Subite, my beloved Belgian raspberry beer.



Since returning to our suite, I've watched The Simpsons. In French. Homer sounds marginally more intelligent in that language. Perhaps because he speaks French far better than I do.


No comments: