"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, August 03, 2007

It's the Heat...and the Humidity

Yesterday was miserably hot and humid. After a supremely frustrating day--numerous annoyances, large and small--the dogs and I arrived, stunned by heat, to find the sealed-up cottage somewhat uncomfortable. I threw open windows and doors and plugged in fans.

I was on the porch, lost in admiration of another beautiful sunset, when I heard music, laughter, shouting--in other words, a party on the water. It was the Winnipesaukee Belle, the charter sidewheel paddle boat.

I headed outside with my camera. She passed very close to my dock, and I waved back at the merrymakers.



She hugged the shore, the captain or emcee or somebody calling out to swimmers and boaters from the microphone. Then she headed around the point.



A little while later, I heard the party-on-the-lake as it proceeded up the opposite shore of the Bay.

Watched Mad Men on AMC, a new favourite summer cable show.

Fell asleep to the sound of the loon in the Bay.

Woke to another another hot, oppressive, humid, breezeless morning and repeated radio warnings about unhealthy air, restricting physical activity, conserving electricity. We'll have our walk soon, before it gets worse. Thunderstorms are coming later, probably some wild ones, but there will be a welcome cooling off as a result.

Not so good for the Balloon Rally--I doubt tonight's launch will happen. But tomorrow's weather is supposed to be lovely.

I'm thinking a lot about Tommy Makem, hearing his voice--singing and speaking--in my mind. Everybody from the President of the Republic of Ireland to the Governor of New Hampshire and beyond has lauded him for being a fine musician and a finer man. Calling hours will extend for three days (!) next week, with the funeral on Thursday. His legacy will live on, in his recordings, his compositions. I imagine son Rory, and others, will extend that legacy in every possible way.

I have a full work day ahead of me, knocking the neglected manuscript into shape. I hope my brain will operate sufficiently, that the heat isn't too mind-numbing. I predict my labours will be interspersed with regular dunkings in the lake!

The Chap arrives for supper. We think he's bringing Singapore curry noodles from Ping's.


No comments: