"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

How I Began My Life

I started today. It was a Wednesday then, too.

All my life I've heard the verse containing the description "Wednesday's child is full of woe." A real downer and best ignored. Or the other version, "Wednesday's child will know no woe." As inaccurate as it is unrealistic.

The MEP version:

"Wednesday's child coming--whoa! Watch out!"

And I must also add that this birthdate of mine is a command: "March forth!"

So that's exactly what I did. And continue to do.

~~~~~

Hello, world. I'm here!



Even though I haven't actually accomplished anything yet, I'm quite popular. I'm a firstborn child, that must be the reason. And I made them impatient waiting for my arrival--nearly 10 full months!

People hold me and look at me and have their picture taken with me. I'm always ready for a photo op but would rather be on the other side of the camera/s for a change. A lot of really cool photographic equipment in this household....

Here's my mother's mother. I'm demonstrating my ambition to become a ballerina--check out that port de bras! She's my fashion icon--I'll definitely wear sophisticated black and white outfits, like she does. And earrings.



I have another beautiful grandmother, so sweet and loving. Her mother was called Margaret, that's how I got my name--there's a long line of Margarets, going way, way back in time. See her pearls? Margaret means "pearl." In future I shall often wear pearls. After I grow a neck....



The President of the United States (and his predecessors) personally picked my grandfather for an important position in Washington, DC. He, too, is a good dresser, you can tell from his bespoke Savile Row suit. Perhaps I'll get involved with government and hang out with politicians and meet a President, too. And buy some clothes in London. Right now--only in my dreams!



And I want a beautiful rose garden, like this grandfather has.



I'm sure I'll always be a churchgoer. Despite having cold water poured on me the first time I went.



I intend to travel a lot because I love going places. Are we there yet?



I'd really like to be a performer. Until I'm ready for a wider audience, this sofa is my stage.



Cleanliness is next to Godliness, they tell me. No problem. I was born under an astrological water sign, I love getting wet. I'm thinking I'll need a house by a lake. No wait--two! A large house by a little lake, and a cottage on a very, very big lake. How awesome would that be?



I've got a trusty canine companion, my very best friend and devoted bodyguard. I want at least two dogs when I'm older. Also, I enjoy sitting around, using my imagination. Is storytelling a lucrative profession?



I love gourmet food. This muck...isn't.



I come from a funny family. So I'll be looking for a husband who can keep me laughing. And vice versa, because once I start talking I'll be oh, so quick with the quips and my guy will have to keep up. (Although he need not have a military haircut like my father's!)



I'm hoping I'll look sort of like my mother when I'm grown but frankly, I'd be content just to have more hair. Look, she's compensating by dressing me in a cute sailor dress with a perky red tie around my so-called neck to distract from my near-baldness. (I'm still too young to wear black, she says.) She's looking out for me. And whatever I end up doing, I'll always have her love and support.



Already this is shaping up to be a wonderful life.

~~~

And today, the much older version of me gives thanks to all who have made it so.


No comments: