"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Lake Fever

As signs of spring increase, my case of lake fever grows more intense. The best remedy is actually seeing the lake--the Big Lake, I mean. Fortunately, I had an all-day training on Saturday in the Lakes Region. Our dioscean Stewardship Institute took place at the Opechee Lodge and Spa...in the conference centre, I hasten to add, not actually at the spa!

Lake Opechee.



We finished up on time, around 3:30, and the organiser and some presenters and I headed to a local watering hole for a de-briefing. All along I'd intended to drive over to the lake cottage, and even though I finished up later than I expected, due to my own desire for fellowship, I had plenty of light left in the day. And it was sort of on the way home.

So I left Lakeport, driving south on Route 11 with the lake--and eventually our Bay, to the left of me. The lake was one sheet of white...no sign of a snowmobile or bob house...until I reached the other side--our side--of the Bay.

A cluster of bob houses just south of the Point, surrounded by snowmobiles.




There was more snow than at the Lodge but also plenty of melting, especially on our hillside of blueberry and huckleberry bushes. The sun was lighting the cottage on its perch atop the ridge.



The dock--open water all around and thin, almost translucent springtime ice cover.



Our front yard.



This little trip made me very eager to open up, but that's not happening until ice is out and the nights grow warmer. (We're having a very cold spell this week.) I'm hoping to be somewhat moved in by mid-May, give or take.

Returned to the Lodge to customise a fresh pizza. We finished watching the first season of Ricky Gervais's Extras. The DVD extras on Extras made me laugh till I cried. Or perhaps it was the effects of 2 bottles of cider after a long day, combined with the residual giddiness from actually hanging out beside the Big Lake. Even if only for a little while!

It seems my my time there might have increased rather than cured my lake fever...but to everything there is a season, and the season of lake living isn't quite here.

To continue strolling, hop over here! Thanks for stopping by!


No comments: