"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, March 09, 2009

It's Ba-a-a-ck & Musical Monday



A second snowy Monday. Last week we had a bit over a foot. Today we seem to be in the 6 to 8 inch band. Probably a couple of inches on the ground now, at mid-morning. The heaviest snowfall is coming later in the afternoon.

This is what March does to us, so no use whingeing. But I can't help observing it's rather an abrupt change from the 50+ degrees of the past two days!

Unlike last Monday, I'm not able to cuddle up at the Lodge and watch the flakes fall. I must go Out Into It this afternoon, probably about the time of the most intense snowfall. There's a subcommittee work session related to the bill I testified on last Thursday.

There's a chance I'll see the Chap if I also attend a presentation on the Stimulus package being offered to legislators and town officials in Representatives Hall. He happens to be the Stimulus Expert for towns and municipalities, the go-to guy for folks who have those shovel-ready projects we all keep hearing about. His charts and graphs turn up in all the newspapers, too, as illustrations for stimulus articles.

I jokingly tell people I needn't study the stimulus provisions myself...all I have to do is ask my husband about it. And he always has a "stimulating" answer.

He'll soon be headed to Washington, DC--a Stimulus-related junket. (Not paid for by Stimulus funds, I hasten to add.) Purportedly there's a chance for some interaction with--well, I won't say anything about it yet, but it would be exciting. I'm trying so hard not to be jealous, I keep telling myself it's too early for cherry blossoms anyway....

Had a wondrous productive weekend, am caught up with my quota. This morning my "research" is quite highbrow...I'm listening to Purcell's opera Dido and Aeneas as I study the history of its first performance. Which I must recreate in my novel.

So here, if you're interested, is a scene. And it was filmed at Hampton Court Palace--which also features prominently in this book of mine!





No comments: