"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, March 06, 2009

A Pause to Catch my Breath

I'm so relieved to reach the end of this crazy week.

After a day of meetings and a mandolin lesson in Concord on Tuesday, I was taken to a pre-birthday dinner at a downtown restaurant by the Chap and a priestly friend. Given my mid-week schedule I didn't expect much opportunity to celebrate!

Early Wednesday morning we had a small and hurried breakfast birthday party--cards, a parental phone call, gifts from family and friends.

Receiving birthday kisses from Ruth.



Jewel was in charge of the packages and wrapping paper. Wow, this one came all the way from France!



It contained a beautiful silken beaded scarf.



The Chap left for his office and I hurried away to the State House. I left the Lodge at 8 a.m. and didn't return home till 8 p.m. Birthday? What birthday?

We had a deadline to act on bills, and some of them were controversial--or at least people thought they required sustained debate. I did escape during the midday break, for a restaurant lunch with three colleagues.

At some point I discovered that I had lost a glove.

My glove-losing has reached epidemic proportions. After Nell Gwyn's ghost pilfered my black leather, fleece-lined gloves during my November visit to Bestwood Lodge, I replaced them the same day at Nottingham's Marks & Spencer. In January I lost one of the UK gloves in the vicnity of Concord's Storrs Street shopping center. In February--scarcely a fortnight ago--I purchased another pair, the best yet. Black leather and fur-lined, with dear little buttons with loop closures runnning up the side.

And somehow, somewhere on the State House complex, I'd lost the left one.

I was naturally exhausted and not in a very festive frame of mind that evening (what was left of it). I put my two remaining gloves together, hoping for a complete pair (albeit mismatched) and found that I had a pair of right hand gloves. Bummer.

I was cheered by the many thoughtful messages waiting for me on our answerphone, and on my Facebook page, and in my blog comments. Thanks so much!

The Chap had acquired a huge container of strawberries and a lemony pound cake and ice cream, so we sort of had a party.

Leftover strawberries for yesterday's breakfast--huge! And delicious.



On Thursday it was back to Concord. I testified at a public hearing in another committee, in support of a constituent. I'm not even sure the pending legislation would help her. It's one of those cases that wrenches my heart--I know the committee was moved by her desperate and emotional testimony and that of other similarly affected individuals.

Then I had lunch downtown with a different priestly friend, at a different restaurant.

The Capitol City economy definitely benefitted during my birthday week. I had three meals in three separate establishments!

Returning to the glove saga....I asked around at various State House and LOB reception or information desks whether a black leather left glove had been turned in. That's how I learned there's a Lost and Found in the Sergeant-at-Arms' Office on the 3rd floor of the State House. It was my last stop yesterday.

My missing glove was there, waiting for me! "Nice," said the woman who handed it over to me. "I can see why you're so glad to have it back."

The Chap says he's going to tie a string to this pair, like mothers do on their kids' winter mittens to keep the pair together. Sounds like a good idea to me. Or better still, let warm weather come so I won't need gloves!

Finally Friday's here. I'm behind on my writing quota (big surprise) but not badly behind because I was (don't tell) scribbling scenes during Wednesday's lengthy floor debates. I think I can get back on track today and over the weekend.

One more meeting--this afternoon--for the historical society cookbook. Imagine sitting around talking about delicious recipes a couple of hours before suppertime! That's the other book I'm writing. Or rather, compiling. Our committee selects recipes for inclusion, I create the document, and in the not too distant future I'll turn it over to the designer. Talking and typing recipes (unlike baking and cooking and eating) has no adverse impact on my figure. Like watching the Food Network, it's calorie-free! Not that I've had much kitchen time lately....


No comments: