"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Another Parade and Back to the Lake

The sun returned! And a good, thing, too!

It's Old Home Day in my town, with all the associated activity and fanfare. I and my fellow reps rode in the parade, in our fab 1970 Caddilac DeVille convertible, and we were very glad for a break in the incessant rain. Our poor broken river was practically flood stage as we drove over the bridge where the covered bridge used to be.

We had a good position near the front. The police chief led the way, then the Honor Guard, then the Town Band, then the school float, then Miss New Hampshire (we had a nice chat while waiting for the parade to start), then us.



When we reached the Park we were lined up, and scored a "front row" view of the rest of the parade, following in our wake.



Some great floats--the theme this year was "Going Green!" so they had an environmental message. The antique autos were fantastic. (We entered our caddy last year and won a trophy!) If I were in the market for a vintage pick-up, I'd take this one. It's my favourite colour!



After the parade, I resumed my conversation with Miss New Hampshire. Natalie is very personable and very talented.



After wandering the park and looking at exhibits and meeting up with lots of friends and acquaintances (I wouldn't necessary call it "campaigning"), I headed home to load up the car with stuff and animals for another stay at the cottage. (The Chap joins us tomorrow.) We're entertaining this weekend, so the trip here required a stop at the supermarket.

Not only was it sunny--by the time we got here, it was warm, and after our walk I wanted to cool off in the lake. So I put on my swimsuit and headed down to the dock.

"We'll behave while you're in the water," Ruth and Jewel promise.



I was deeply suspicious about their lack of interest in swimming.

The loon showed up to swim with me.



So did the mother duck with her flock of 9. They're so big now!



After swimming and taking photos of waterfowl, I checked on my companions, who were brazenly hoovering up the blueberries from the low bushes on the hillside.



I can't help but feel we deserved this lovely day, after all the rain. Here's hoping the weather is just as bright tomorrow, when our company comes. Or at least, not raining!


No comments: