"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday Stroll with 'Shrooms



There's a fungus among us!

After "looking up" last week, I'm back to ground study. The persistent rain and damp conditions have resulted in a mushroom and fungus bloom the likes of which no local can recall. On the radio we've heard cautionary words from our State Veterinarian, reminding dog owners to be watchful, because wild mushrooms can make dogs dangerously ill. His office is getting lots of calls.

Happily for us, Ruth and Jewel have no interest in eating wild mushrooms. They do have an unfortunate habit of treading upon them and breaking the delicate stems. When they're on their leads, I try hard to steer them away from the 'shrooms, but there are so many that I haven't been able to save every one.

We set out this sunny morning for our first walk of the day, and my camera came with me so I could record the incredible beauty to be found rising up from the soil.



Can you spot the insect on this mushroom?











I was examining this log for 'shrooms and saw this woolly bug.



This fallen and rotting tree trunk lies at the head of our secret forest pathway leading to the Point. It's decorated by tiny yellow mushrooms...



...that look like tiny yellow umbrellas.



The tree was covered with them, end to end.



In our own drive, this new spore was sprouting. Soon it will look exactly like the one at the beginning of this stroll!



When good mushrooms go bad....Here's one in disintegration mode. Over time, they decay and turn oozy and end as a greasy puddle. Sort of like our final view of the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz film, after she's hit with the pail of water.



For days I've been fascinated by this cluster near the screened door of our porch. They're more like something you'd find growing on the ocean floor rather than the forest floor. When I look at them I'm reminded of brain coral.



Above you see not even half my photos. I was selective, choosing only the most colourful and/or interesting specimens to post here.

My mushroom walk ended with the chug of the Big White Boat steaming down the Bay.



The strong morning breeze along the waterside has died down, so our next stroll will be down to the dock for some swimming!

For more strolling, go to A Quiet Country House for links.


No comments: